Saturday 20 June 2020

Oh My Godson

Six years ago, I became a daddy.

An honorary daddy, but a very important title no less.

In 2014, my godson Matthew Joshua Lim was born on this earth to two gorgeous parents - Eric Lim and his wife Corina Seah.

Eric was my university classmate and one-time roommate when we were both studying overseas.

Corina is Eric's JC sweetheart.

Today's post is inspired by my godson Mattie's sixth year on this earth. And because in just a while, I'll be heading over to the Lims' with my partner J, to meet them for the first time in months.

Stanley my sex bunny friend is naturally very excited by this aspect of my life.

He's first of all very keen to know more about Eric, who, in his national service days, was a police inspector.

I want to inspect everything about that policeman, Stanley would say in a sultry manner every time I talked about Eric.

Eric - though not to me - is almost every girl and some men's wet dream.

Tall, geeky, ever-the-good mannered boy, and a school jock.

Eric eventually joined the police force after university and began a very successful career in putting bad guys behind bars.

Stanley would always say he wouldn't mind breaking the law if the arresting, searching and probing was performed by Eric himself, and especially because being put behind bars can be promising, according to some of the films Stanley's been watching.

My godson Mattie though, Stanley wasn't that thrilled about.

Stanley doesn't quite like kids, which is why he would only smile politely every time I showed him photos of my beloved Mattie.

But today, the post is all about little Mattie and how he's changed my life.

On this day six years ago, the tiny being was in my very arms.

Mattie felt soft and warm and, trust me, the moment I carried the newborn, I instantly felt a connection.

It's like Mattie's body warmth and my body warmth met and communicated and recognised each other's presence.

That very afternoon at the private maternity ward of Mount Alvernia, I looked at Mattie in his swathed bundle and swore that I would be the godpa who would throw him in the air, run after him and encourage him to learn to ride a bike, never mind if you fall; and be the godpa he runs to for a hug every time I visit.

Kids grow up really, really fast.

For almost every day in the first few months of Mattie's life, my partner J and I would drop by Eric and Corina's maisonette home to see the little rascal.

I shared my first-time-parents friends' joy when they sent me videos of Mattie crawling.

And once in a while, when I'm too busy to visit, they would video call me with Mattie looking all over the place and making gurgly noises in response to my coo-ing.

When little Mattie took his first step about a year later, J and I immediately made plans to go to the Lims for a celebratory drink.

And when Mattie learned to speak, we taught him to call me Papa (which would melt my heart) and J, Uncle J.

Alas, time flies and now, Mattie's running around playgrounds, almost too elusive for papa to catch.

On Mattie's birthday, J and I arrived at the Lims' two hours ahead of the bash so that we could spend quality time with the little rascal before he had to be passed around and be carried by other caring uncles and aunties and for general photo ops.

As if on cue, Mattie ran towards the gate on my arrival, his shrill greeting of 'papa, papa!' reaching before his tiny exuberant self.

Instinctively, I scooped him up and tossed him in the air thrice, sparking even more shrilly giggles.

When Mattie landed on earth once again, he hugged my hips tight, melting my heart with his next few words.

"I miss you papa; why didn't you come see me earlier?"

After getting loud, purposeful kisses from me, Mattie went on to hug his "favourite Uncle J", getting  a tight hug, a kiss on his forehead and a series of tickles which set him giggling for the third time.

That morning, Eric's house smelt like a busy kitchen - their helper Inda was busy whipping up chicken curry to feed the adults in one corner of their open kitchen while keeping an eye on the air fryer where she's making batch after batch of chicken nuggets for the kiddos.

Corina, her fringe plastered on her sweaty forehead looked at J and me with a relief, as if to say 'please take my energetic son away from me for a while'.

The next hour went by swiftly.

J was catching up with Eric and Corina - who both looked thankful for the respite while I paid full attention to their son.

So while they sipped tea and ate failed batches of Inda's nuggets, my hands were kept full with Mattie in his playpen.

"Bury me with toys, papa!"
"Papa, fight with me!"
"You are the bad guy, I am the good guy, papa!"

Who said godparenting was an easy task?!

Soon, it was time to open papa's presents before everyone came.

As per J's idea, I wrapped Mattie's presents Russian Doll style: His first present (a batman bag) would lead to his second present (a batman pencil case), his third present (a batman figurine) and his fourth present (a batman water bottle).

J filmed Mattie's reaction as he unwrapped each item, recording his gasps, his surprise and his joy.

Mattie was obviously thrilled with his latest batman collection, and it melts my heart that my boy is so, so happy.

As Mattie busied himself tearing up the gift wrap with his tiny hands, I looked back at the adults.

J, smiling as he filmed; Eric interjecting with appropriate Oohs and Wows as Mattie made each discovery; and Corina resting her head on Eric's shoulder looking on like a proud mum.

J and I exchanged glances and he winked at me.

Meanwhile, our birthday hero was in his element, repeating the words "wow, yay, batman" to no end.

At that moment, I hoped with all my heart that Mattie would grow up to remember this day.

Because papa and Uncle J will remember this moment, as we grow old.

Happy birthday darling Mattie.

We love you.



---------------------------

Adam's stories are based on real life events and inspired by real people

No comments:

Post a Comment