Saturday 21 May 2022

Shitty Love

The year was 2005.

And the location, Chiang Mai.

My partner J and I were on one of our affordable vacations after we got together three years before that.

Our first ever couple holiday in 2003 was in Genting Highland and that's a story for another day -- I promise.

Today though, I am inspired to write about our Chiang Mai trip.

It was very special not because it had all the elements of romance. There were no grand restaurants, nor did we launch into a Hollywood kiss in the middle of an elephant camp.

In fact, to put it really bluntly, that holiday was shit.

The sort that was watery, hot and sticky.

The two of us had, back then, eaten at a roadside stall and the rest is history.

I cannot even remember what we put into our mouths but what did come out, now that, I remember.

That night, J and I were curled up like cooked prawns in our bed, feeling feverish, pukish and super shitty.

As a young and full blooded youth on holiday with the love of his life, I had been dreaming of this moment.

Two of us lying in bed, spent, and weak from all the purging, and dear God, I should have been more specific.

The rest of what we did in Chiang Mai was a blur.

I cannot remember at which stage we got food poisoning. Or how long we were suffering for during the 9-day trip (we also visited Bangkok during that leg).

What I did remember rather clearly, was the look on J's face. 

The poor boy looked so pale that it hurt me deeply.

I also remember fetching him hot tea, and feeding him warm porridge. And he in turn stroke my hair and patted me to sleep when I was shivering.

But we bounced back rather quickly and miraculously, managed to recover during the holiday.

While flying back from Thailand to Singapore, J told me that it was the most memorable trip. 

"I think this trip made us fall in love deeper with each other," he said. "Because we took care of each other when we were ill."

Then, to my utter surprise, he leaned in and kissed me on my cheek on the plane.

The reason I'm writing this today is because of a recent event that had got me thinking about a couple's relationship and longevity. 

And as I write this in 2022 and reflect on J and my memorable trip, I remind myself that it's not every day that we end up with someone we love.

And it is very important for us to treasure what we have.

Fret not. 

Nothing drastic has happened between J and I and we are both as loving as can be -- in fact, more so.

But yes, my post today is indeed triggered by an event that has affected both of us in a deep way.

And I promise -- like how I would write about our first Genting Highland trip -- to post about it soon enough.

But for today, let me just share this very private, very moving bit of my memories from the 2005 Chiang Mai trip.

Meanwhile, if you have a special other, treasure him or her.

And if you're single, treasure your loved ones.

On this note, I wish everyone happy thoughts and much love.

 

 


---------------------------
Adam's stories are based on real life events and inspired by real people 

No comments:

Post a Comment